For certain undisclosed reasons, I found myself in quite a pickle last Thursday night. Class was at 8:30 the next morning, and I still had a mountain of homework to do. Oh, and I was at a concert, so I couldn't actually do any of the school. Normally, I employ my masterfully developed skills at doing what needs done to get through class and leaving the rest for some other time. However, I don't like doing that. Since when has school become such a burden to me? Why does it seem so oppressive? It is such a privilege; one I have taken for granted much too often of late. If I really do enjoy learning, I figured I could hire my "enthusiasm" to do something big.
I realized I am graduating in two weeks, and yet, in my entire high school career, I had never pulled an all-nighter to do my homework. This is largely due to the fact that I have parents who are strict about such matters and have taught me to be disciplined. In other words, I've never really needed to pull an all-nighter. Nor did I especially need to in this circumstance, but I thought I should embark on this "rite of passage" the homework all-nighter represents to the typical American highschooler.
And thus, with silent acquiescence, I vowed to myself this all-nighter would happen.
Yet I am not an infallible human being. I knew I could not do this by myself. So, after a short text conversation, I had enlisted a partner in crime, my classmate Alison.
I'm not sure how to illustrate the massive mental firewalls and safeguards I constructed to protect against the call of sleep. Nor the extensive planning I did to ensure what I did at 4:30am was actually beneficial rather than harmful.
In short, I was determined. I got home from the concert at 9:47. I ate a piece of pie and drank a cup of coffee.
And so it began.
I had to take some logic tests. Those had to come first. I needed as much brain power as I could for those. Then other stuff.
12:43am. Four logic tests done. Alison's and my chat:
"4 done"
"Yay!"
"Working on 6 now."
"Two more pages of dates! :D"
"I love Peter's art."
"Me too lol. But stay focused."
"I am focused... not really. Done with test 6!"
"I know. My brain shuts off right about now... Yay!! Good job! Only 5 left"
"Yay! And keep on keeping on! Imagine the bragging rights, the memories!"
"Yes. Those bragging rights are looking pretty good."
"Gtg, check in at 2, k?"
Come 2 o'clock...
"It's 2! Only 4.5 hours until we have to 'wake up.'"
"We can do this."
"I want to stab conjunctive syllogisms in the face."
"Hahahahahahahaha wait until oblique syllogisms."
"Excuse me while I go get coffee" (It was actually only my third cup!)
And so it went. We motivated by bragging rights and the occasional excursion to view Peter's artwork. However, things went downhill starting at 3am. Observe.
"I want to go to bed sooooooooooooooobad"
"Haha you're telling me."
"But we need to do this. We just have to. We've made it this far already."
"Ugh. Just don't think about it. Thinking makes it worse."
4 o'clock was definitely the hardest point of the whole night. I had finished all my logic and a good deal of Latin homework. The circumstances were pushing me to the limits of consciousness.
"Hey... so nothing goes into my head. It just bounces right back out. I'm starting to question whether there's a point to staying up."
"Are you trying to memorize Shakespeare?"
"Read World History. No! I can do this! fiiiiiigggggggghhhhhht"
"Ah. I'd say, yeah lets go to sleep but... THE GLORY!!! THE FAME!!! FREAKING OUR TEACHER OUT!!!"
"YES. I'm going to go search for my history timeline right now."
And thus it went. There was one more particularly funny episode of conversation at 5, but I will spare you from hearing any more of our early-morning rants.
So you get the gist of things! This was my first ever homework all-nighter! I completed World History, wrote a paper about Macbeth, completed homework for eleven logic lessons, and studied (successfully) for the Latin final.
Not all was finished, however. I still had to make it through class and discover whether my work I did was worth anything. For all I knew, I just signed my death warrant by compiling a large amount of bad grades. Class came. I made it through. I held it together. I only had two cups of coffee. I ate Chinese for lunch. I did not giggle incessantly.
I got A's on everything.
WIN.
You did too giggle incessantly. Remember when you and Jeremiah were carrying the table and you and I were laughing non-stop? Granted, I was worse, but still xD. Good times, good times. :D
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteShhh... notice the "incessantly" quantifier.
ReplyDeleteHahahahahahhaha. I find it interesting that after reading the first sentence, I already found a word I didn't know! I have learned something today.
ReplyDelete