So, today I'm here to talk about something I think about a lot.
Because I'm a high school student, I spend the majority of my time studying. If I'm not studying, I'm practicing viola or piano, or studying French, or writing, or watching movies. Or procrastinating.
My point is, I spend a great deal of my time engaged in different activities, most of which fall under the category of what modern society has dubbed "learning." I spend tons of time doing it and I'm constantly asking, "How well am I doing this?" "Am I being as efficient as I can be?"etc. I'm constantly trying to improve my learning abilities, and my learning efficiency.
Once in class I was ranting against people treating the whole idea of "learning styles" like a crutch. This bothers me because, though admittedly I have no idea of what scientific evidence is out there, I feel from my experiences that, though people do have certain ways they learn best, way to many people take this whole idea and use it as a crutch. "I'm just not good at this because I'm a kinetic learner." they say. I was trying to say that most smart people don't get where they are by trying to zero in on their perfect learning style and then proceed to learn all they know through that style. It's really very inconvenient. If you're a "physical learner" you learn best through physical touch, etc. How's that going to work out? Just spend long hours rubbing the pages of your textbook? Or what if you're an "audio learner?" Is the best solution having someone read your chemistry module out loud to you?
So how does one train themselves to learn differently?
I am glad you asked. Currently I'm working on that myself, and I feel I've made enormous progress. I think perhaps my learning style tends (tended?) to be visual. But even when I was thinking along these lines, I couldn't really answer for my self what visual learning was. In a way, everything is visual! There's not a single school subject I have that I don't see. So that confused me. All I really knew was that some subjects were harder for me than others.
Instead of going through my experiences in chronological order, I thought it would be more helpful to explain it all through my current knowledge.
The biggest step you have to take is this:
Forget the entire concept of learning styles. Now. Just throw it away! You don't need it. All you can keep is an idea of learning pathways. There are different pathways into your brain. Your eyes, your ears, your fingers, etc. Some of them may be more traveled than others. But all of this should occupy a very insignificant status in your brain. Just throw it away.
Step 2: Maximize your will to learn! For students in school, realize this is one of the very few chances you have for the bulk of your time to be spent on active, purposeful learning. Also, meditate in your personal devotions on how God would wish for you to spend your time. Certainly, if He has given you a tremendous amount of resources for learning, do not take them for granted! Pray that He will increase your will to learn.
Step 3: Be ruthless in what it takes to give you time necessary for learning. Recently I shut down many of my social media accounts for this very purpose. Just do it.
Step 4: Take one day of your week, and record minute for minute what you spend your time on. Look at the clock when you sit down to sip your coffee. Look at it when you get up. Write it down. I don't care if you're not an organized person, you can do it for one day. I did.
These are all preliminary steps. Doing all of these will not harm you. Just do them. Be ruthless in your will to learn. Be ruthless in your will to reform. But also, be ruthless in being flexible. Some of us believe in scheduling our days, but it will never help if you don't know how to work around interruptions.
Now. The learning. Step 1: All of your subjects are worth it. Never tell yourself you are wasting your time learning. It's a lie. If you want to spend time doing other things, be more efficient. See tips above. Even if it technically is a waste of time, nothing is going to change if you harp on that issue. Just do it, and get it over with. You will have the knowledge, and you will be more experienced with pushing through something you don't like. Just do it. It will be over soon. And your brain will not run out of space, don't worry. Cram it full.
Step 2: Something is hard? You're not getting it? Only one solution. Be a ruthless conqueror! Really! Do whatever it takes to learn it! If none of your usual tricks work, seek out extra resources. If that doesn't work, use this principle. "Someone else has learned this before you. It is indeed humanly possible. If you can't do it, find someone who can, and make them tell you how to learn it."
Step 3: Never be satisfied. Unless you are perfect, there is always room for improvement. Always try to push yourself to see how much you can accomplish. Lacking motivation? Sorry, no cure for that. It's a character issue we all struggle with and we all must strive to overcome.
Doing all of these things will not let you down. If you do these and it does, please contact me with your story and how you can do it better! One of my tutors once enforced seemingly mindless exercises with this reasoning: "It builds new pathways in your brain." So incredibly true! Back to our idea of learning pathways… if something is hard, it often means it is stretching the capacity of the learning pathway you are using. The best thing to do is to push until it works. Ignoring your weaker pathways will not make them stronger. Mental fitness metaphors come to mind.
I must warn you. Pursuing truth and building the mental fitness for pursuing truth are not easy. We are all battling the effects of the Curse, and I don't believe the Devil appreciates people who are pursuing truth and trying to do it in a God-glorifying way. Lack of motivation is usually the only seed he needs to plant in you. The best remedy for restoring it is reading Scripture. :)
1 Corinthians 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Philippians 4:19
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
If God is for us, who can be against us?
Just do it!
Happy learning!
Spoken (written) like a young Ben Franklin! Well put!
ReplyDeleteIf you haven't considered a career as a Mental Fitness Coach (think personal trainer for the mind), you might want to give it a thought. I can think of a dozen or so homeschool moms who would probably be willing to hire you on the spot:)
Keep writing!
I'm glad to see that you are still making new pathways in your brain!
ReplyDelete