I spent years complaining about living in East Lansing, but I had cultivated a home there. Friendships, memories, and experiences are viscerally linked to each building on campus, and each street spoking outwards. I spent my last week collecting up some nostalgia, eating food from restaurants I'll miss, spending time with friends, and renting electric scooters and zooming around campus, fashioning empty parking garages into obstacle courses. I'm definitely homesick.
It is exhilarating to be in a new place, to have so many new parks and pockets of town to explore, so many new people to meet, etc. Though I can't help but wonder if I would feel less lonely if I had made this move a year before, under COVID-19-less circumstances, as there are not many options for meeting and spending time with new people.
I have a list of local restaurants that I am working through, ordering take-out after long days of working from home. I have adopted a kitten, named Percival, who keeps me quite busy when I'm not working. And I am also trying to maintain many personal activities I enjoy: practicing Spanish, staying fit, practicing viola, and reading. Many of these things can be expounded upon in their own posts, which I might do if I continue to enjoy writing. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment